Brooklyn Tech Zooquarium & Odditorium
Phylum Porifera: Sponges

external image spongebob.jpgvs. external image porifera3.jpg

They're not the same.

Fun facts:
  • Living sponges look nothing like the common bathroom sponge, which happens to only be the skeleton of a particular sponge.
  • The smallest sponges can be a millimeter tall when fully grown while the largest sponge is just about as big as a barrel.
  • The texture of a sponge varies from extremely soft to as hard as a rock.
  • To prevent other sponges from attacking them, sponges can actually produce chemicals to keep those other sponges cells from growing.
  • Chemicals that sponges make are being used to find a cure for cancer and many other diseases.
  • Sponges do not have organs; they are made of special cells that carry out all the necessary processes.
  • In Latin, "porifera" means "pore-bearing".
  • If you were to break up a sponge into thousands of pieces, the cells would come back together in the exact same shape within several hours.
  • Sponges have no dependence on sunlight, allowing them to grow at any depth.
  • Only 5% of all sponges can live in freshwater; the other 95% live in salt water (oceans & seas).
  • One cubic centimeter of a sponge can filter more than 20 liters of water a day.