Chalinula nematifera
chalinula_nematifera.jpg

Taxonomy:
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Porifera
Class: Demospongiae
Order: Haploscelrida
Family: Chalinidae
Genus: Chalinula
Species: Chalinula nematifera





Color:
Chalinula nematifera has a lavender color with white lining.



Description:
Chalinula nematifera is an invasive sponge discovered in 2003 at the Isla Isabel National Park near the Mexican Pacific Ocean. This sponge was introduced as fouling on ship hulls that have arrived at Isla Isabel. 94% of them started living on live corals of the genus Pocillopora since coral colonies usually experienced low light intensity, something Chalinula nematifera prefers. The other 6% thrive on rocks. However, based on recent tests, Chalinula nematifera does not seem to pose a dangerous threat to the coral it lives on.



Habitat:
This species prefers to live in marine environments near coral reefs and rocks.



Places:
They are common in the Central and Southern Great Barrier Reef, the Marshall Islands, and Micronesia.


Unknown.jpegUnknown-1.jpegimages.jpeg
Sources:

http://tolweb.org/onlinecontributors/app;jsessionid=FB712075026AA1BBD6ADA9D4A82EED6C?page=ViewImageData&service=external&sp=26922
http://zipcodezoo.com/Animals/C/Chalinula_nematifera/